If you would have asked me a year ago, 5 years ago, heck even 15 years ago when I was in the best shape ever to run 3 miles I would have thought you were crazy. I've never in my life been a running. The only time I ran was when the coach told us to and that usually didn't require us to run for long periods of time or around the bases in softball. I always told people the only reason I only hit singles and doubles is cause that's all the further I could run at one time, haha!!
Last May I was weighing in at 218 and decided to start the Couch to 5K program. What was I thinking when I thought a 218 lb person could actually run?? Well they really can!!! I did it!! I don't know what got into me, I was changed. I wasn't the person I used to be the person that would try something and find out it was just too hard or too much work had to be put into it and just quit. I kept going and going!! Week after week. It was so hard and I wanted to give up so bad. But the overwhelming feeling of accomplishment every single time I reached my front steps again kept me going!! The feeling of being so proud of myself. It was the best feeling on earth. Even the first couple of weeks when I was only running for 60-90 seconds at a time!!
I had a few set backs with running. My knee was killing me every time I went out. I brushed it off at first of being overweight and having all this weight pounding on my knew - I'd hurt to!! I kept telling myself it would get better with time and with losing more weight. Well, it wasn't getting better, the more distance I ran the worse it was getting. I went back and forth about getting it check out. I was nervous about getting it check out because I didn't want it to be anything serious. I just got back surgery less than a year ago, I couldn't have it be serious and need knee surgery too. I continued to run through the pain because it's what made me feel good - the running not the knew pain. I went to the chiropractor one day and just brought it to his attention and he took one look at my ankles and notice they went in a lot, causing my knees to go in and my back to not line up. It's called pronation. I have it pretty severe in both ankles. I ended up ordering some custom orthodics for my shoes to help correct the problem. The doctor told me to ease into them, wearing them for a few hours a day and slowly building into running. Well I didn't have time for that - and who really listens to what the doctors have to say - and I started running again right away. Well my feet were not used to the arches being held up and the rubbing of the orthodics and I came home with HUGE blisters on the bottom of my feet! Lesson learned - listen to what the doctors say, that's why they get paid the big bucks!! And the whole month of August was so frickin HOT, I just couldn't run outside and instead of going to the gym to run I just didn't run.
That put a little damper in my running and I was so scared that it was the end and I'd quit just like every other time. But I didn't!!! I finally sucked it up and signed up for a 5K, that way I had to! Oh and I told everyone I knew that I was running a 5K!! If everyone around you knows about it then you have to do it. You don't want to have to tell them you just didn't do it.
I did my first 5K - but I don't really consider it a real 5K. I did the Dirty Girl Mud Run in August 2012. It's a 5K with 8 obstacle courses that you have to get through. I don't consider it an actual 5K since you don't run the whole thing since you have to stop at each obstacle and wait for it to be your turn and me and the girls I did it with stopped a few times and played in the mud - who wouldn't!!
I'm the second one from the right in the back
I'm the second one from the right
The one on the right - showing off the guns!!
The first 'real' 5K I did was the Maple Leaf 5K in Sept 2012. I had no idea what to expect as I have never even walk one. It was amazing!! The course is along the Octoberfest parade route so there's tons of people out cheering out on. I ran the whole thing in 35.44 minutes and was so DAMN proud of myself!! Who would have thought that I'd run 3.1 miles ever!!! I work so hard for it!!
Then in October I did another local 5K called the Warrior Waddle. This one was so much easier for me then my first. I knew what to expect and I knew I could do it!! I did that race in 34.29 minutes - over a minute shaved off my previous one!!
After my 5K last October I took a 'break'. A long 2 month break of eating whatever I could stuff in my pie hole and not exercising at all!! Not even once!!! So I started back up in January with eating right again and slowly exercises. Last week I actually started a program again for 5K to 10K. I need that structure of a program to keep my accountable. Even though I hate running on a treadmill I'm so much more happier that I'm back to doing something I love. Something that makes me feel like I can do so many things.
I can not wait for more races this year!!! There's nothing better then crossing that finish line. This year my first race in going to be an 8K, though. So I've started training for a 10K in hopes that by the first weekend in April I'll be well on my way and have no problems finishing an 8K. I'm a little nervous about it, but I know I can do it!!!
The first time I crossed the finish line I felt like if I can do that I can do anything. With a little hard work and dedication I can concur anything I want!! I've learned that I am a strong person. And how much happier I am when I feel good about myself. Running has giving me the chance to be a better person, love myself more and give so much more love to the people around me.
I can't wait to see what this year brings.....my ultimate goal is to run a 10K. I'd love to do a half marathon but am focusing on small goals so I will stick with a 10K first!!
Until next time......
Leave a comment! I'd love to hear from you and who doesn't like to get a little page love! :o)
Follow me!!







Congrats on all the progress you've made! I really want to like running as well - I got pretty far in C25K this summer but then fell off the wagon. I want to start again though!
ReplyDeleteI found the best thing to do is just sign up for a 5K, then you have to start training!! Good luck!
DeleteHigh five!
ReplyDeleteWhat are you using to train for the 10K? I signed up for on in April and haven't even started yet :-/
I downloaded an app on my phone called RunDouble. That's the same app I used to do the C25K. There are so many other apps out there!! Good luck to you, Wendy!!!
Delete